Green Leaf Find us on Google+ Web Analytics

Facebook like button

Green Leaf Headline Animator

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Philips Freedom LED Light Bulb


Well several people have asked me why I have not yet written an article on this prize winning light bulb. While I have covered LED bulbs in general with quite some depth, and have alluded to the Phillips bulb that won the government's prize, I have not named them by name until now.

Now as you may be well aware I have some one hundred plus dollar bulbs that are 100% made in America with CREE SMDs (Surface Mounted Diodes) and I am in love with them. But I also have a whole host of other LED bulbs. But all of the others pale in comparison to my 'Corn Light Bulbs' which I picked up from the LED Light Website as far as their light output is concerned. Mine are one hundred fifty watt equivalent light out put. I consider myself a rather early adopter to such technology.

And as you might guess a guy took issue to my earlier allusions to this bulb. And as further proof that this bulb winning the contest had issues he linked me to this article. Well before digging to the facts presented here, the author of this blog post apparently knows absolutely nothing about Phillips, the company who won said award. As in his own words he said, and I quote "But wait: Why would a company that sells power want to subsidize products that help people consume less of what they’re selling?" I have been involved with several aspects of the energy throughout my lifetime and I am unaware of Phillips even having one plant to their name. Plus I just Googled this fact which provide me with no results!

Ok so that is one flagrant error on his part. But something he reminded me of was the fact that there was no competition is this award process. In other words Phillips was the only contender is this contest. Why were there no other contenders-- I have no idea and will not even speculate as to why there were no other contestants in this award process.

But I would think that it has a lot to do with the fact consumers seem rather resistant to change. And all but our very liberal lawmakers do as well. Well I find these facts to be a shame and I for one have embraced the LED bulbs before this contest even went down.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Unfortunately that link doesnt lead me to their bulb, but their website, so unless you can link me to their bulb specifically it would be hard for me to make a judgement on such.

      Delete