Green Leaf Find us on Google+ Web Analytics

Facebook like button

Green Leaf Headline Animator

Monday, March 12, 2012

This is what I've been trying to tell everyone about LED lightbulbs

LED light bulbs are nothing new to me, however they might be to you. My LED light bulbs cost me $100 a piece, which is quite a bit higher than the $50 dollars Phillips bulb featured here. And what is more as I tried to explain to my friend the other night they can last 30 years, and they have a graphic explaining this. Going on the premise that you would use one bulb a year at the end of its 30 year life cycle with current utility rates you would be like five bucks behind.

Now my LED bulbs that I have were all manufactured in the USA. And Phillip's bulb carries this distinction as well. The bulb is assembled in Wisconsin with computer chips manufactured in California.

And as you might guess Phillips has come under fire for this bulb. The main complaint is that it is too costly. Well like I said at the beginning of this blog post, it is less than half the price of mine. I guess that is the price I pay for being an 'early adopter.'

2 comments:

  1. not just too costly... other issues too re Philips bulb

    About that Philips LED Prize bulb, and how Philips won the US Govmt
    prize for it:
    http://dunday.com/2012/03/lots-of-public-money-for-doubtful.html

    The lobbying, the evading of rules, the poor quality of the bulb on
    testing - as referenced with competition rules, patents, lobbying
    finance records, the prize committee's own lab test document etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am thrilled greatly with my LED bulb which uses SMD (surfaced mounted diodes) to generate light equivalent to a 150 watt incandescent. And I believe it consumes like 9 watts of electricity. And my LED bulb was made right here in America by an American company using American made supplies (CREE SMD Diodes). Mine are still under warranty too.

    I have been trying to tell everyone about these bulbs since back when I was first introduced to them in Engineering school in 08. To me it is a shame that you are only taking issue with them because of this contest-- all along everyone should have been using these near zero energy consumers since back as far as 2008. It only makes sense and will probably be the last light bulb I ever have to buy.

    ReplyDelete