Green Leaf Find us on Google+ Web Analytics

Facebook like button

Green Leaf Headline Animator

Monday, March 5, 2012

Sumotomo's Level three chargers for EV's

Well I have to go and take back something I told you all last week-- there are more than just two types of chargers for EV's (Electric Vehicles). I told all of you last week of Level 1 & 2 chargers. At the time I had no knowledge of a Level 3 charger, but since viewing Marion Rickard's channel I have since learned about them. Nissan is working with the Sumotomo corporation to bring such Level 3 chargers to fruition. Something special about Sumotomo's design is that it is a dc to dc charger, rather than an ac to dc charger. Also the Nissan Leaf is coming out with a Level 3 charge port, but to my knowledge it is the only car to do so thus far. This new, non-standardized charger sells for $9900, and is said to be able to completely charge a Leaf in under thirty minutes (I believe to 80% charged from the best I can deduce).

But the SAE standards have not been set just yet for the Level 3 chargers. Although you can see a schematic of one here, compliments of Texas Instruments hereafter referred to as TI. And below is a video produced by TI which features Bob Schumaker, the head of TI's group that designed this circuit. I will be keeping up with Level 3 charger technology in future posts.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player bq76pl536

No comments:

Post a Comment