Green Leaf Find us on Google+ Web Analytics

Facebook like button

Green Leaf Headline Animator

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Its all about nanotechnology

Again I find myself having to talk about nanotechnology. The field of nanotechnology seems to be taking the pv market by storm. And, from what I have read about it, they are making efficiency advancements in pv's by doing so.

I am certain you have read my post from yesterday, but if you have not, here it is for you. And one of the things which I want to bring to you today is that Bandgap Engineering a Massachusetts startup says that nanowires could double the efficiency over what we see now from pv's. And imagine this, they say that by employing nanowires you can increase the surface area of a solar cell. Of course the surface area of a solar cell is directly linked to the efficiency of the solar cell-- more surface equals more efficiency. Here is a picture of the nanowire technology that Bandgap Engineering is using to hopefully double solar cells efficiency:


And here is the article which inspired me to write about nanotechnology and its application to solar cells.

I wish Bandgap Engineering the best in their efforts to double the efficiency of solar cells. Hopefully their ideas will come to fruition soon and we will all be able to buy a solar cell with nanowires in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment